Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Catch up time

I was reminded this morning at MADMEN that I needed to catch-up on my blogging. I replied that I had too much to write about and once I started it would not stop for a while. But here goes.
Observations from the campaign trail.
I had a chance to go and work a day in NC with the Obama campaign. I had worked in the phone bank and canvassed here in Greenville back during the primary but had not traveled. I spent a day in Hendersonville going house to house knocking on doors and reminding everyone to vote early. The neighborhoods we canvassed in were mostly low-income homes and some government housing. A very Obama friendly area. I was paired with a lady from Chattanooga who along with husband had driven their motorhome over in Auust and had been working with the campaign since. She was originally a Hillary supporter but was committed to electing Senator Obama. The most interesting thing I noticed throughout the campaign was the number of young people involved. The head of the Hendersonville office was a 19 yo young man from St.Louis who is a sophomore at Georgetown. Also working in the office were 2 students from the University of Iowa. These kids had taken a semister off to travel and work on something they believed in. Something else I found interesting was the response everyone had for anyone who showed interest in the campaign. They did not simply ask someone to vote, they ask them to make phone calls or canvass and if they couldn't do any of these things to simply bring food by the campaign headquarters. They were asking them to take ownership in the campaign.
Historians will write many books about this campaign. Mostly about the election of the 1st African-American president. What shouldn't be lost in this and should be a model for all campaigns in the future is how they were able to get so many people involved for the 1st time in their lives. We are going to need the same enthusisiam because it's going to take every single american to get us out of the mess we are in.

Syd

No comments: