Tuesday, February 21, 2012

21 days or 504 hours

Ash Wednesday is here again. The day that starts one of my most favorite times of year, it begins the season of Lent. A time to reflect not only on the events leading up to Good Friday and then Easter but a time to reflect on what the Cross actually means to you. Even though I'm not a Catholic, over the years I have observed the sacrificial side of the Lenten season. My reasons are based more on my own desire to acknowledge Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness than an observance of some religoe us dogma.
Over the years I have given up many things. One year it was caffiene, another year it was all cheese products and even last year I gave up facebook. Giving up something every year not only acknowledges the wilderness, but it's something that helps me personally. Giving up items that hurt, reinsures me that no one thing can control my life. That the things I eat, drink, activities I do are my choice and not something I feel controls my life.
This year I've decided to give up all meat except for fish and chicken. But, to kick start lent I have also decided to join several friends and partake in the Daniel Fast over the first 21 days. The Daniel Fast is based on the 1st chapter of the book of Daniel. It basically is a diet of vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole grains. No processed foods, no dairy products, no caffiene, water and some fruit juices.
I'm not doing this as some health kick quick weight loss plan. It's simply something I want to see if I can do. When the 21 days are over I will be

No comments: