Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Independence Day Memories


It's been almost 3 years since my dad passed away. The 4th of July was by far his favorite holiday. Hillbilly Day in Mt. Rest, SC was the place he had to be. Getting there early (@10:00am) was a must, he wanted time to walk around and talk to his old friends and to make sure he found a good seat near the stage. You see bluegrass music and square dancing was his love. I think he enjoyed watching the dancers as much as listening to the musicians. All the regular musicians new him well. One of the bands actually played at his funeral. The proudest moment came the last year he was able to attend. They recoginized him from the stage as the only person to have actually attended every Hillbilly Day from the start ,41 straight years. True dedication. I also believe his love of the 4th came from his love of country. He served during WWII and was always active in the local American Legion. The 4th was a chance every year to show this love.

Over the years the 4th of July has grown into my favorite holiday of the year as well. I view Christmas as more of a Season. The 4th brings back great memories from my Dad but it also has allowed me to create new memories for my kids and grandkids. When my son's friends call to make sure we are still doing something at our house reconfirms how important it is to create your own memories and traditions.
No we want have a blue grass band, or a grease pig to chase, but hopefully one day my kids will look back at their own great memories of the 4th. Thanks Dad for the inspiration.

"Well you may not like my appearance An' you may not like my song
Well you may not like the way I talk But you like the way I'm gone"
Bill Monroe "Free Born Man"
Happy 4th of July

Syd






No comments: