Monday, August 18, 2008

august 16th, 1977


Saturday we celebrated the 31st anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley. It was our annual luau with all of the good fixin's. All of you who missed it, missed a very laid back evening with music from Radio Margaritaville and food from Nard's Backyard BBQ. Pictures will be coming later.

Thiry one years later. I remember it well, I had just picked up my school bus (driver) and was coming home when I stopped at Pat's Cash & Carry and was told the news. The media went crazy, people rushed out bought up all the newspaper, Enquirers, you name it. As much of a media feeding frenzy as it was then, can you imagine with all the cable networks we have now what it would be like. It would never stop. I found out a couple of things recently. At the time of his death, Elvis had $100.00 in savings and $1,000,000 in his checking account. Also, Elvis's net worth was @5 million dollars. Today Graceland is valued at over $100 million alone. This does not count what the Elvis name, music or image is worth. Elvis would have been a wiser investment than General Motors.

This brings up a couple of interesting questions; Do we have to die to find out what we are truely worth? and should our worth be judged in dollars and cents?

"I can't remember if I cried, when I read about his widowed bride, but something touched me deep inside, the day, the music died". Don McLean "American Pie"


Syd

No comments: