Monday, June 16, 2008

From the road, the pew and the office

Nitro-Rev, I really don't see how you do it. It's not that I don't have anything to say every other day. It's finding the time to sit down and write it.
I hit the road to Dallas last week. Attended the National Assoc. of College Athletic Directors meeting. 3 days of working a booth. Actually on the floor for only 4 hours a day, but all indictations are that it was worth the time and expenses. I had been to Dallas on a couple of occasions but had never had the time to go downtown and walk over the spot where JFK was assasinated. It was very surreal. The most amazing part was how close everything is. The grassy knoll, the book depository and the street are all within a couple hundred feet. Call me a nut, but I have always thought there was NO WAY Oswald could have done it alone. Too many people benefitted from his death. Standing there on the spot I could not help but wonder what would this country be like had he lived.

Watching Luke Russert on the Today Show this morning reminded me the role that our children play in our lives. Like or not they are a direct reflections of us. Their strengths and shortfalls at times are tied to our own. Luke's ability to come in front of the Nation, and conduct an interview less than 72 hours after his dads death was a fitting tribute to Tim. Darren's sermon for fathers day was "Who's your Daddy?" I do believe that we all answer that question everyday. Like it or not we are all reflections of our fathers. Good or Bad the reflection you give is your choice. In our christian walk no one should every have to ask that question.

Well, I'm back in my office, ready for the July 1 (new budget year for schools) wave and ready to ride.
"Now a life of leisure and a pirate's treasure Don't make much for tragedy But it's a sad man my friend who's livin' in his own skin And can't stand the company" Bruce Springsteen, "Better Days".

Syd

No comments: