Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Peaches, Palms, and cucumber vines.

Stopped by Fishers Orchard on my way back from Gardner Webb today. After last years losses it was great to see the shed open and the business brisk. The trees are still full and people were out picking their own peaches. (Man, I would hate to have my entire life wrapped around not having a late season frost). 95 today and no a/c in the honda, but I still love summer.
My palms trees are hitting stride right now. The washingtonian that dies out in the winter has come back bigger than ever this year and the younger windmills are starting to grow upwards instead of only outwards. Did I mention I love summer.
I wonder what the record is for the most cucumbers off of one vine? We have one vine that is threatening to take over not only the palm tree but my hibiscus and the tomatoes. (You would have to see how I plant things to understand). But, as long as it continues to produce fruit, hell, it can run up the driveway, I'll park in the street. No a/c and a wandering cucumber plant, these are problems I will take over scrapping ice off of my windshield any day. I love summer.

"We made it through winter We made it through fall
We made it through the spring timeTough times and all
It's good to seeI love the summerI'm riding with the top down
Let the wind blowChillin' with my lovePartying fo' sho
'It feels good to seeI love the summer Everybody if you with me sing......"
Snoop Dogg "Another Summer"

1 comment:

Peg and Don said...

I've seen how you plant and I get some credit for the some of the palm trees, especially the one in the back. I LOVE the Washingtonian an have another to try my luck. It will need to be planted in the back for maximum sun. If you park on the street to get away from the cukes, be careful of high winds hitting those old Bradford Pears. I totally agree with your comment about banking your life on frost in the Spring. Get those sprinkler heads next door pointed right and watch your grass grow!